Step 1: Update Your WordPress Plugins And Theme
Why This Step Is Important
WordPress plugins (such as Elementor) and WordPress themes (such as Astra) will regularly release updates with new features, bug fixes, and important security updates. It’s important that you keep everything up-to-date so that you don’t run into any issues with your website.
Watch Our Video Tutorial For This Step
This video will walk you through how to manually update the Astra WordPress theme, the Elementor Page Builder plugin, and the Elementor Pro add-on plugin.
- Log in to your WordPress Dashboard
- Red notification circles indicate that updates are available (0:13)
- On the plugins page, you can click “update now” next to any plugin that has an available update (0:35)
- You always want to keep your plugins up-to-date (0:42)
- Go to Dashboard > Updates to view all available updates (1:04)
- Click “Check Again” to check for any new updates that aren’t shown on the Updates page yet (1:10)
- Since you are using SiteGround hosting, they will automatically update WordPress for you. It’s extremely important to always be using the latest verison of WordPress. (1:40)
- Select all plugins and click “Update Plugins” (2:24)
- Click the link to return to the updates page (2:40)
- Select the Astra WordPress theme and click “Update Themes” (2:47)
Was This Step Helpful?
In general, I would recommend updating your plugins once per month. If one of your plugins (such as Elementor) releases an update with a new feature you really want to use right away, then feel free to update immediately.
Some people like to wait a week or so until after an update is released before updating the plugin just in case there are any bugs with the update.
For example, let’s say Elementor releases an update on May 28, and Elementor users start to report some bugs with the update. Elementor will then fix those bugs and release another update a few days later.
Elementor and the Elementor Pro add-on are two different plugins that need to be updated separately.
Updates for the Elementor Pro add-on usually won’t appear in your WordPress dashboard until you have updated to the latest version of Elementor. Once you finish updating Elementor, any available updates for the Elementor Pro add-on should appear in your dashboard.
You can manually check for any new updates by going to Dashboard > Updates in your WordPress admin and clicking the “Check Again” button.
The most important theme to keep updated is the one you are currently using (the Astra WordPress theme).
However, it doesn’t hurt to also update the default WordPress themes (Twenty Nineteen theme, Twenty Eighteen them, etc.) even if they are not currently being used.
If you are using our recommended SiteGround hosting, WordPress will update automatically when a new version is released. There is nothing you have to do.
If you are not using SiteGround hosting, you can update WordPress in your WordPress admin by going to Dashboard > Updates. This page will tell you if there are any WordPress updates available or if you are already using the latest version of WordPress.