Step 1: Register Your Domain Name With Hover
Why We Recommend Using Hover
Hover is the best site for purchasing domain names. Their checkout process is super fast, easy to use, and they don’t hassle you with any upsells. Hover also includes privacy protection on all domains for free (privacy protection hides your personal information from publicly available databases).
Watch Our Video Tutorial For This Step
This video will walk you through how to brainstorm domain name ideas using Lean Domain Search and then purchase your domain name using Hover.
- Visit Hover
- Before you purchase your domain name, use Lean Domain Search to come up with domain name ideas (0:24)
- Enter your domain name to see if it’s available to register (1:05)
- Pricing explained (1:20)
- WHOIS privacy is enabled for free to protect your privacy (1:40)
- Walk-through of the checkout process (2:00)
- Click the confirmation link in your email to finalize registration (2:20)
Was This Step Helpful?
No, you do not have to choose a .com domain name. Sometimes it’s not possible to find a good .com domain name that’s available (since so many domain names have already been registered).
Other extensions such as .org, .net, or .co will work just fine. However, I would only purchase a different extension if the .com domain name isn’t currently being used by an existing business in your same industry.
For example, we use launchparty.org (since the .com was already registered), but we made sure that launchparty.com wasn’t being actively used by another business. That way we didn’t have to worry about any trademark issues or customer confusion with there being two active businesses with the same name.
There are several reasons we recommend using Hover to register your domain name instead of your hosting company.
1) It’s cheaper. Hosting companies always charge more for their domain names, especially if you want to register your domain name privately. For example, SiteGround charges $16 to register a domain name + $12 for domain privacy ($26 total per year).
2) It’s better to purchase your domain names from a registrar that’s separate from your hosting company so that your hosting company doesn’t have any control over your domain names. This allows you to more easily change hosting companies in the future if you ever need to.
3) As you begin to acquire more domain names and create more websites, it makes sense to keep everything in one place so that your domain names are not spread out across multiple hosting providers or multiple hosting accounts.
The main reason you want to use privacy protection when purchasing a domain name is so that your personal information (name, address, and email address) are kept private. Otherwise, your personal information will be publicly accessible in various domain registration databases. Spammers can use this public information to send you unsolicited emails.
Set Up WordPress
Help keep our tutorials completely free forever by sharing our course with your friends.